i REALLY NEED YOUR HELP!
Cross-posted like a bitch.
Well, I just asked my chair David if I could teach science fiction next semester, as our scifi professor is retiring. He was iffy, but I'm going to bug the SHIT out of him until he lets me do it.
I want to focus the course on post=apocalyptic fiction. Right now, these are the books we would use:
1. The Stand, Stephen King
2. The Rift, Walter J. Williams
3. A Canticle for Liebowitz, Walter Miller
4. The Postman, David Brin
5. Swan Song, Robert McCammon
6. Earth Abides, George Stewart
7. Lucifer's Hammer, Larry Niven
8. The New Madrid Run, Michael Reisig
9. Eternity Road, Jack McDevitt
10. The Day of the Triffids, John Wyndham
11. The Dawning. Hugh P. CAve.
12. The Nature of Balance, Tim Lebbon
13. Parable of the Sower, Octavia Butler
14. The Gate to Women's Country, Sheri Tepper
15. Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood
16. Where Late the Sweet Bird Sings, Kate Wilhelm
17. Into the Forest, Jean Hegland
18. The Folk of the Fring, Orson Scott Card
19. Apocolypses: Prophesies, Cults, and Millenial Beliefs Through the AGes, Eugen Weber
20. Visions of the End, Bernard McGinn
21. The Encyclopedia of Apocolyptism, Bernard McGinn
22. End=Time Visions: The Road to Armaggedon, Richard Abanes
23. The Last Apocolypse, James Jr. Reston
24. Z for Zachariah, Robert C. O'Brien
25. Smart RAts: A Novel, Thomas Baird
26. Plague, Jean Ure
27. Cloud Warrior,1st Fantasy,Iron Master,Blood River,Death Briger,, Patrick Tilley
28, Twilight World, Poul Anderson
29. Malevil by Robert Merle
30. The Wild Shore : Three Californias (Wild Shore Triptych), K.S. Robinson
31. Emergence, David Palmer
32. Through Darkest Amer and Dawn's Uncertain Light, Neil Barrett
33. I am Legend, Richard Matheson
34. Cat's Cradle, Kurt Vonnegut
35. Damnation Alley, Roger Zelazny
36. Bangs and Whispers: Stories About the End of the World, James Frenkel
37. A Gift Upon the Shore, M.K. Wren
OK I know there are too many here. Obvious. So help me cut it down. How many should I include? I've NEVER taught a literature claSS before, so I need help! Is there anything I should include but didn't? Is there anything on the list that can go?
I have NOT read anything without a star by it. If YOU have, please review it for me!!!
Also, I need help figuring out how to teach this clas. I want to first look at how "post apocalyptic fiction" is a genre -- what is similar between these booKS? But what else could we talk about? Paper topics? Class discussions? HELP!
Also, I don't own almost ANY of these items. My Amazon.com wishlist has them all there. I would love anyone forever for buying me some of these. Books give me more joy than can be stated in words, in anything. Books are love to me. Here's the list (the cheaper the better, so used is GREAT). I swear you can get one for less than five bucks, and oh what joy it will give me!!http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html/103-0563062-0047826?%5Fencoding=UTF8&id=27CG80WQAG8QA